Caffeine-addled ramblings, rants, and random thoughts about my life in pursuit of utter awesomeness and general kickassery.


Stumblers: If anything strikes your fancy, cover up your fancy and click the "I like it!" button on your taskbar.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Promises REDUX

I was thumbing around some old files and came across this. It's just as poignant now as it was when I posted it a year and a half ago.



PROMISES

Promises are very important to me. Normally I wake up every morning and instead of goals for the day, I make a list of promises. There's power in that. You make a commitment to yourself. It's the difference between "I want to" and "I must."

As I was looking at my promises for today, I came to the conclusion that they were small and insignificant in my life. The "pay bills," "work on my business plan" stuff is nothing. So I sat down and wrote another set.


To my family:

I PROMISE...

* to thank you for helping me be the person I am today.
* to return the love and support you have given me.
* to forgive the things that hurt me.
* to recognize the wonderful things about you I see in me.
* to hug you often.
* to make you proud.
* to make you an important part of my life.


To my friends:

I PROMISE...

* to not lose touch.
* to appreciate the time we share together.
* to make time for you.
* to be there when you need me.
* to not be there when you don't.
* to make you laugh when you need it most.
* to be your shoulder when you need it most.
* to be the one you can always count on.
* to not judge you for being who you are.


To my future Love:

I PROMISE...

* to hold your hand.
* to always kiss you goodnight.
* to always kiss you goodbye.
* to make you feel loved.
* to forgive you when you hurt me.
* to apologize when I hurt you.
* to cherish the moments we share.
* to Love you completely, without compromise.
* to remind you how important you are to me.


To my future children:

I PROMISE...

* to help you experience new things.
* to play when possible.
* to support and encourage your dreams.
* to say yes when needed.
* to say no when needed.
* to help you love to learn.
* to look through your eyes in wonder.
* to tuck you in at night.
* to listen to what you have to say.
* to teach you to give.
* to be a role model.


To myself:

I PROMISE...

* to laugh often.
* to make every day more exceptional than the last.
* to Love as if I've never been hurt before.
* to leave the world better than I found it.
* to make a difference.
* to question.
* to learn something about everything.
* to learn everything about something.
* to learn something new each day.
* to live with passion.
* to remember those who matter most.
* to remember the things that matter.
* to forget things that don't.
* to Love unconditionally.
* to forgive constantly.

* to keep my promises.

3 comments:

Lil said...

and I promise to protect you from all the meanies!

Nicole said...

And I promise to keep thinking and worrying about you everyday.

Lil said...

Isn't it about time that you come up with something new?