Caffeine-addled ramblings, rants, and random thoughts about my life in pursuit of utter awesomeness and general kickassery.


Stumblers: If anything strikes your fancy, cover up your fancy and click the "I like it!" button on your taskbar.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Blind Dates & Hurt Feelings

It's odd when friends or readers send me a link I haven't seen before.

I'm that much of a power surfer. Even on my geek forums, a full 92.7% of the things that are posted are things I've already seen. So when Lillith sends me a link to something new, I fell out of my chair (She's as much a geek as I am a trout).

It's such a great concept I have to give a shameless plug:

CrazyBlindDate

Here's how it works: You give basic info about yourself, put in a tagline, locations and times available and they set up a date. Period. None of the "matching 29,348 levels of deep compatibility" bullshit. It's apparently matched based on if you're in an age range and have the correct genitalia. You're obligated to spend 20 minutes with them. You can even arrange a double date. So if you're in Austin, sign up and mayhaps we'd get arranged to have drinks or a coffee.

Also the website is actually pretty funny. Here's one message on one of my available dates- "Status: We almost have a date for you! Ok, so there is one person we can match you with if you were a little less picky. We suggest changing your required maximum age ... wink, wink."

(Also, I don't know what good the "questions" do, but I suggest you go through them. Some are effin hilarious. And there apparently isn't an end. I went through over 500 before I gave up).

This is perfect for a guy like me that likes to meet new people. Lil and I sent our info in, and I got set up for a date at 9 tonight. All I know is her name is Julia, she's 29 and she has "big brown eyes, shoulder-length curly hair and big beautiful smile. " No pic, no anything.

I'm not expecting anything romantic to come out of this. I'm still not sure what's going to happen with Pepper, but I am excited to do something a bit spontaneous again as I've been slacking in that category lately.

Speaking of Pepper... We had a really kickass date on Weds night. Dinner, drinks, the works, then making out on the couch, the coffee with a little sumtin-sumtin in it (Amaretto for her, Hazelnut Kahlua for me (I was out of Rufies)). And then a big question.

Huge.

Monstrous.

It was a question I was dreading, but needed to be out in the open.

"Are you actively pursuing other relationships?"
It's REALLY ok that she asked this, because I wanted to talk to her about it.
So, short answer: "No, with a but"
Long answer: "Yes, with a however"
I told her the truth. I am NOT actively pursuing other relationships, but I am still looking. If there's anything I should've learned in my 36 years, it's that women DO NOT want to hear the truth.

But I took a chance. I don't want to lose Pepper, but I also don't want to lie to her, nor jump into another relationship either. There's still time.

There's always time.

1 comment:

Pinot Where Near Me said...

CBD sounds like just the thing for my friend, Granola. For the sake of her safety, I will put myself on there and add her as a double dater :-) She and I go out often together anyway, might as well try having more of a purpose sometime. Not that having great beer at a local dive isn't purpose enough...

Huge and monstrous are accurate descriptors of that evening. I'll try to keep the hugeness to a minimum next time around :-)