Caffeine-addled ramblings, rants, and random thoughts about my life in pursuit of utter awesomeness and general kickassery.


Stumblers: If anything strikes your fancy, cover up your fancy and click the "I like it!" button on your taskbar.

Monday, May 7, 2007

Insomnia and Writer's Block

I'm an insomniac. Always have been.

I may have mentioned that before.

After I got home last night from ChaCha's (see last post), I was incredibly exhausted. By 7 I had fallen asleep on my couch watching TV.

I wake up at 9:30.

Shit.

I know now it'll take me forever to get back to sleep. Go upstairs, check out the blog metrics, stare at the screen for amusing sentences to enter my brain. Nothing.

I putter around downstairs, make something to eat, watch some cartoons.

Not tired in the least.

Around 11 I head upstairs to my computer. Perhaps now I can get out a couple of posts. I look at my drafts, and don't really feel any of those. I click on the "New Post" button and stare at the screen for about 15 min. Have a cigarette. Stare some more. Nothing.

I WoW for a bit. Still not tired. Around 1am I Alt-Tab over to the flashing cursor on that blank post page. Still nothing. Have another cigarette and stare. The more I look at that form mocking me with its nothingness, less enters my mind.

I decide to cut my losses. I shut down, and plod into the bedroom.

Lie down on the bed, still not tired. Look at the clock.

2:08

Crap.

Turn on the TV. Flip through the channels. Infomercial, Infomercial, Sports, Baby Einstein (who the hell has their kid watching TV at 2:30 in the morning??), Infomercial, Home shopping network...

Twilight Zone!

I set my timer to turn off the TV in an hour, and float into the world of a black and white Rod Sterling, blowing smoke into the camera, talking about player pianos and alternate realities.

Last time I remember looking at the clock it said 4:41.

I recall turning off my alarms (I have 2. It's something insomniacs need). But I actually get out of bed, awake at 7:42. Work starts at 8. Shower. Dress. Screw shaving.

8:10.

As long as I'm already late, I run and get coffee and breakfast, and stroll into the office at 8:45.

New day...

1 comment:

Allie said...

i know of the not sleeping game.
i am the current record holder and gate keeper ... however, keep my aprised of your stats and i'll let you know when you move up in the "no thanks, i'm not like regular humans, i don't need sleep " rankings.