Caffeine-addled ramblings, rants, and random thoughts about my life in pursuit of utter awesomeness and general kickassery.


Stumblers: If anything strikes your fancy, cover up your fancy and click the "I like it!" button on your taskbar.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

More Than Meets the Eye

The last pieces for my new computer came yesterday. I managed to put it together without too much of a hitch. The only thing I now need is an extended audio cable (the case has headphone/mic jacks on the top of the case. How cool is that?) because the one that I have won't reach the connection on the motherboard.

Other than that, it's ready for the great on-turning. Speaking of, I thought long and hard about what to call this one on my network. I always have at least two systems active, a main and backup/storage. The storage PC in use right now is named SEPTIC, since that's where I put all my shit. I'm going to clean it out and reformat it to loan out to a friend of mine that's currently using an eight-year-old PC (cringe).

My current primary is appropriately called HAL, since it does whatever the hell it wants.

HAL: "What do you think you're doing, B?"
Me: "I'm just trying to download my credit cards into Quicken."
HAL: "I'm sorry, B. I can't let you do that."
Me: "Why the hell not?"
HAL: "This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."
Me: "What mission? What are you talking about?"
HAL: (freezes)

Therefore, I needed to come up with something appropriate. There ended up being no debate, as she shall be named... DEEP THOUGHT. Ok, I'm showing my geek colors again, making a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference. Now all I need is a "Don't Panic" sticker to put on the front.

The Great On-Turning will most likely be tomorrow. I decided to get a bigger desk, so just for the sheer complexity of my cable management it would be dumb to hook it all up, then disassemble (NO DISASSEMBLE NO. 5!) the setup to do it again.

ChaCha came over last night and the first thing out of her mouth when she saw it was...
"It looks like a Transformer!"
It does. Really. I had that thought too, and I never made the connection to the fact that the case name is "transformer." Captain Obvious to the rescue!

Anyway, I'll let you know tomorrow how bad the fire damage is once I plug it in.

2 comments:

christelpistol said...

you are such a huge geek.



but you make it look SOOOOOOOO good!

Tenacious B said...

My Geekiness will be spoken of in awe for years to come.

...

And my awesomeness.